A multi-talented Chicago-based pioneer in course architecture and several other fields. Schooled at Royal Liverpool, he designed nearly two dozen early Chicago-area courses, including Midlothian, Skokie, Homewood (Flossmoor), Hinsdale, Park Ridge, and the expansion of Glen View to 18 holes. Helped in formation of Chicago Golf Club, later revamped original grounds as Belmont Golf Club, now Downers Grove. Editor of Western Golfer, first journal of the game in the west. Longtime equipment salesman, founded The Golf Store, Chicago’s first, downtown in 1900.